Monday, February 25, 2013

Vertical Thought 2013 - Choose Love


I was meaning to post this but I completely forgot :/ I got my issue of Vertical Thought Magazine on Thursday and I got the chance to read it on Saturday while on the go. I wanted to share this article that I read because it provided me with so much insight. I probably forgot a few things but I'm going to go through this article again and remember everything I want to share :) In case you guys want to read it without my commentaries, the original article can be found at THIS website and the PDF version can be found HERE. The PDF version has the full magazine in color so you might want to read other articles as well :) Its apparently the last print version,, moving forward its going to be digital so I'm treasuring this magazine. You won't know the value of something until its gone! So incase you're wondering this article has to do with dating, relationships, the Christian way! So enjoy the article and my commentaries along with it :D My comments are in (brackets) and italics and also in white to add emphasis. So spot them! Hehehe!



Choose LOVE - Article by Frank Dunkle (Vertical Thought Publication)


Hollywood may tell us we're helpless when it comes to falling in love. But the reality is we can rule over our emotions and make wise choices. (Huh? So we're not helpless? Make wise choices? Now that is something interesting :P)

I was watching a popular TV drama that portrays several heart-wrenching situations of unrequited love and of broken or damaged relationships. At the climax of the show, the lead character had a heated discussion with another person in which she shouted out tearfully, "You can't choose who you love!" (So at this point I wished he revealed the name of the TV drama so I could also check it out)

This, then, was supposed to be the great truth illustrated in this drama: Love brings highs and lows. It can be wonderful or devastating. In the end, we have to take what we get because we don't get to choose whom we love. (So the writer goes on to say that this is actually not true. We don't have to take what we get because we can choose whom we love)

Almost as soon as the words came out of that character's mouth, I shouted, " That's not true! " at the television.

It wasn't listening, so I ranted to my wife instead. "We do have a choice. Love isn't just some accident we have no control over. These TV writers say these things and tell fictional stories as so-called proof. Then people believe them, and their lives get ruined!" (So yes, we here go now, I guess I always thought LOVE just happened like an accident :/)

Yes, I do have strong feelings on this subject. It's because many young people believe the myth that you can't choose whom you love. They miss the happiness that could light up their lives. The idea of "accidental love" simply isn't true! You have much more control than you think. Choices in love are tied to making choices with your time. (And from here I got hooked because I like to be in control especially when it comes to being in love)

What love is

To make choices about love, we need to understand what love is. You may already disagree with me because you have "fallen in love," and it does seem to come out of nowhere and to be completely beyond control. Everyone experiences that at some time or another, and it's a wonderful, exhilarating thing. But there's more to love than that—much more!

Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary lists 24 different definitions under the entry "love." Obviously the word is used in many different ways. (24 definitions? WOAH!)

The base definition is "a feeling of warm personal attachment," but we often intend this one: "profoundly tender or passionate affection for a person of the opposite sex." And we'll focus on this shortly. Of course, used as a verb, to love is to experience such feelings. Let's look beyond dictionaries, though, to understand that love—real, deep love—is more than a feeling.

Vertical thinkers look to the Bible as the ultimate source of truth—and it has a lot to say about love! It shows that love includes feelings, but that there is also a focus on doing . The apostle John wrote what could be called a Bible definition of love when it comes to our relationship with God: " This is love, that we walk according to His [God's] commandments " (2 John 6, emphasis added throughout).

Inward feeling and motivation must translate into action. As John also wrote, "Let us not love in word or tongue, but in deed and in truth " (1 John 3:18).

In other words, "Talk is cheap; you show love by what you do ." Doing something requires a commitment of a portion of our limited time.

A song from a while back contains these words in the chorus: "Love is not a feeling, it's an act of your will." I partly disagree with that because love does include feeling—a deep feeling of affection and outflowing concern—but it's much more than just what you feel. It's also the actions you take.

That's where we all have some control and can make choices. Sometimes it seems impossible to control your feelings, but when you control what you do with your time, that powerfully controls how you feel. Yes, even when it comes to falling in love. (Note : Control what you do with your time and that will control how you feel!)

Love whom and when?

The most important things we should control when it comes to romantic love is whom to love and when to do so.

A lot of people think falling in love only happens by accident—sneaking up and hitting them over the head when they aren't looking. Being attracted to someone may happen that way, but developing feelings of love takes more time. You can't have romantic love for someone you don't know, and you can't get to know someone unless you spend time with him or her. So the first key to choosing whom you love is choosing whom you spend your time with and how you do it. (In other words, attraction and love is 2 different things, it's funny how I see people mixing these things up, even me sometimes. Especially in movies when the guy see a pretty girl and claims he is in love and then pursues her. Not all pretty girls are pretty inside right?) 

In almost all cases, it's best to prepare for a career before committing to marriage. Falling in love too soon has caused many young men and women to drop out of college, or settle for an inferior career in order to be with that someone special. (And this seems to be completely true! People don't achieve their potential just because they want to be with someone. Like in movies, and probably in real life, they give up a job opportunity overseas or don't study hard enough due to the distractions that love can bring about)

It's better to decide in advance at what stage of life romance will be best for you. Then, wait until then to date or spend lots of time with any one person of the opposite sex. In the Bible, King Solomon advised that we not wake up love until the time is right (see Song of Solomon 8:4). Meanwhile, spend time with a wide variety of people. Learn what traits are most compatible with you. Then when that right time comes, you'll know the type of person to be devoting your time to. (There are quite a variety of translations of that verse, but it just basically means not to stir up or awaken love until it desires, pleases, until the appropriate time. Now this goes for all those who are just trying their luck with love, me included. So I have to decide at which stage of life romance is the best for me. That I'll discuss at the end of the article)

Challenge and honesty

This can be hard. If you sense strong feelings of attraction developing toward someone, you may have to force yourself to spend less time with that person until the time is right. Otherwise, you may be giving up the choice that should be yours to make with a clearer head. You choose whom you might love by choosing whom you spend time with. (So I got slightly confused here but then took some time to read it again properly and understood it. When we develop feelings of attraction towards someone, we are actually not thinking with a clear head which is why the write goes on to say that we should take some time to sort out our thinking and sort of get out of the "lovesick" moment then make the choice because I'm pretty sure that often when we are in love or attracted to someone, we tend to make decisions that we think is right but obviously isn't)

You don't need to keep your motivations a secret. Telling a person openly that you like him or her but aren't ready to have a deeper relationship will benefit you both. It could even keep a path open to that other person when the right time comes. The other side of this, of course, is that you can't choose how another person will feel about you —but that's a topic for another time. (Haha, this was slightly funny because I can actually tell the person openly eh? I probably wouldn't because I always get attracted to the wrong sort or the ones that I am definitely not going to end up with. I admit, I'm just bad at making choices on my own. And yes, usually the person I like, doesn't feel the same way about me :P)

Controlling the type of person you spend time with is vital to choosing the person you'll fall in love with, even more than when it will happen. Love usually starts with mutual attraction, but it can only grow on a basis of common interests, shared standards and similar goals. (Another reason why I know I am not compatible with someone else is because the person I usually get attracted to doesn't share similar goals, values, etc.)

Some of these traits are more important than others. A man who likes rock-n-roll can build a happy marriage with a girl who loves country music. But when a man and woman allow themselves to fall in love while fundamentally disagreeing on things like religion, politics or even financial habits, they're setting themselves up to become like the characters on television who seem to suffer so much for love.  (I guess the main basis for someone to be even considered has to be a Christian first because only then we can agree on very fundamental issues)

It's way better to fall in love in the first place with someone who makes a good match for you. TV writers may say that you can't choose whom you love, but you can—or at least you can choose whom you won't love

If a potential love interest holds different values than you, don't give him or her much of your time—no matter how attractive he or she is. Otherwise, you may soon be in tears wondering why you couldn't choose to love someone who was a good match. You can choose by choosing whom you spend time with. It may be a tough choice, but it's well worth making. Wise choices about your time make wise choices about love and future marriage. (So yes, the ending is very painful here. Attraction holds no value here and this is probably why I should stop spending time with certain people. Tough but worth it :)) 

-------

Let's summarize here shall we? Okay, maybe it is not much of a summary but just something that is very essential to be mentioned. 

1. I have the right to decide and choose who I can love because love is not an accident.
2. I have control over what I do with my time and also eventually have control of how I feel towards someone.
3. ATTRACTION IS NOT LOVE!
4. I have to decide at which stage of life romance will be the best for me. So I have listed a few things so as to remind myself not to get swayed and all uh.
> Firstly I have to make sure my study path is decided. I need to have the clear plan as to what I would do once I'm done with this diploma, like what degree major I should do and if masters in counselling is the eventual end. 
> Next, I also have ensure that my career is secured, like what do I want to do, who I want to work and among, etc.
So eventually, I'll just have to make sure my studies and career is decided for sure and I have no doubts and second thoughts about it and then some romantic relationship can be managed :)
5. If I'm attracted to someone, I'll just make sure to maintain some sort of distance and probably gauge if its okay to admit to them openly about it :P I probably won't though.
6. Although love may start with mutual attraction, I have to make sure that the person I am involved with has the SAME faith as me, similar interests, goals and values.
7. I have to make sure I know what I am doing with my time because what I do with that time, who I talk to in that time can determine my life, love ad everything else.

I feel so wise :P So I'm ending here. I kind of like doing these article commentary sort of things although I'm not sure people reading it would enjoy. If you guys think I should read a certain article and comment about then feel free to post it below this post. I have enabled anonymous commenting although I'm not very comfortable about it. LOL. So try your best as much as possible to leave your name behind xD

Have a great Monday :D

No comments:

Post a Comment